About Martin County
Visit for the weekend- or longer!
Saturday March 16, 2013 is hamfest day and in nearby Jensen Beach this year is the St Patrick's Day celebration in Jensen Beach going til 7PM
What to do on Sunday? Make it a weekend event for the whole family! The Exotic Bird Expo is held in MC Fairgrounds on Sunday!
On Sunday March 17, 2013, the 16th annual Exotic Bird Expo will be held at the Martin County Fairgrounds. Hours are 9am - 4pm. Vendors come from all over the State. Birds, Toys, Cages, Feed & supplies, will be on exhibit. Educational Talks by Avian Veterinarians, large Raffle Table - Admission $5.00. Children 10 and under free. Contact Kathy Dwyer 772-464-7210 or Rob Stotz 772-446-7270.
Check the fun places to go and Activities to do while visiting Martin County, Florida for the Stuart Hamfest.
- Jensen Beach Causeway - Go sailboarding on the Indian river. Most days you will find sailboards to rent or bring your own.
- Savannahs Preserve is a nature preserve with a center located on Jensen Beach Blvd.
- Rio (pronounced Rye-O) is a quaint little area on the northeast side of the St Lucie near Stuart
- Jensen Beach- The Beach on Hutchinson Island has beautiful natural sand.
- Riverfront Downtown Stuart - walk on the St Lucie river boardwalk and enjoy our scenic city.
- Stuart Beach is a fun place with plenty of lifeguards on duty
- Sailfish Point- Bathtub Beach
- The Elliot Museum is directly next to Stuart Beach and among their exhibits has a permanent display of exceptionally rare antique automobiles. Open 1-4PM on Sundays.
- St Lucie Lock - have an interesting first hand look at the Okeechobee Waterway and the Lock/Dam of the St Lucie Canal as boats travel from the East Coast in Stuart to our west coast sister city of Fort Myers on the Caloosahatchee. Did you know you can travel by boat from Cape Coral to Hobe Sound by boating across the State of Florida? This route protected oil tankers from attack by U-boats during World War II.
- Hobe Sound Beach is one of the few beaches which gained shoreline after the hurricanes of 2004-2005. Hobe Sound beach on Jupiter Island is one of the least crowded and largest beaches in South Florida. Enjoy a scenic ride down to Jupiter and visit the Jupiter Lighthouse near the southern end of Jupiter Island.
- Jonathan Dickinson State Park is miles of fun and was home to the US Army Southern Signal Corps Camp Murphy during World War II.
- Hobe Sound National Wildlife Refuge 13640 U.S. Highway 1, Hobe Sound, FL 33475. The National Wildlife Refuge is one of the last remaining examples of Florida scrub pine habitat. Visit the exhibit room, gift shop, environmental education classroom, and walk a short nature trail. With more than 121,000 visitors a year, people of all ages learn the beauty of these unique environments and participate in turtle walks, camps, evening forums, and scrub tours. For additional information call 772-546-2067
- Blowing Rocks Preserve 574 South Beach Road Hobe Sound, FL 33455. Call 561-744-6668 for hours. The preserve is known for nesting sea turtles, native mangroves, and cascades of foamy sea water thrust high into the air through the wind and wave-carved limestone shoreline.
- Dupuis Wildlife Management Area- near Lake Okeechobee and the St Lucie canal